Buddha bowls have become increasingly popular in recent years as people seek out healthy and nutritious meals that are easy to prepare and delicious to eat. One variation of the Buddha bowl that has gained particular popularity is the green curry Buddha bowl. This dish is not only packed with flavor but also loaded with nutrients, making it an ideal meal for those who are looking to eat healthy without sacrificing taste.
What is a Buddha Bowl?
Before diving into the specifics of the green curry Buddha bowl, it’s important to understand what a Buddha bowl is. At its core, a Buddha bowl is a meal that consists of a variety of different ingredients, typically including a grain, a protein, and a variety of vegetables. These bowls are named after Buddha because they are said to represent the balance and harmony that he achieved in his life.
What is Green Curry?
Green curry is a type of Thai curry that is made with green chilies, lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, and other ingredients. The result is a flavorful and spicy sauce that is commonly used in Thai cuisine. Green curry can be made with a variety of different proteins, including chicken, shrimp, and tofu.
To make a green curry Buddha bowl, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup of cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup of cooked quinoa
- 1 cup of chopped kale
- 1/2 cup of shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup of sliced cucumber
- 1/2 cup of chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup of cooked edamame
- 1/4 cup of sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of green curry paste
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
|Also read: Curried Cauliflower Soup|
To make the green curry Buddha bowl, follow these steps:
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked brown rice and quinoa. Mix well and set aside.
- Warm the olive oil in a big pan over moderate heat. Add the green curry paste and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the coconut milk, soy sauce, maple syrup, and lime juice to the skillet. Mix well and bring to a low boil.
- Add the chopped kale to the skillet and stir to combine. The greens should be cooked for two to three minutes.
- Add the shredded carrots, sliced cucumber, chopped red bell pepper, and cooked edamame to the skillet. Stir to combine and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Divide the rice and quinoa mixture into four bowls. Top each bowl with the vegetable and curry mixture.
- Garnish each bowl with sliced green onions and chopped fresh cilantro.
The Benefits of the Green Curry Buddha Bowl
The green curry Buddha bowl is not only delicious but also packed with health benefits. Here are some of the benefits of the ingredients in this dish:
- Brown rice and quinoa are both whole grains that are rich in fiber, which can help regulate digestion and keep you feeling full for longer.
- Kale is a leafy green vegetable that is high in vitamins A, C, and K, as well as minerals like iron and calcium.
- Carrots are a good source of beta-carotene, which the body converts to vitamin A. Vitamin A is essential for maintaining healthy eyes as well as a strong immune system.
- Cucumbers are high in water content, which can help keep you hydrated. In addition to this, they are an excellent source of vitamin K as well as antioxidants.
- Red bell peppers are a good source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which can help protect against cell damage and inflammation.
- Edamame is a type of soybean that is high in protein and fiber, making it a great vegetarian protein source.
- Coconut milk is a good source of healthy fats, which can help support brain health and lower inflammation in the body.
By putting all of these things in one bowl, the green curry Buddha bowl is a complete, well-balanced meal that is both healthy and filling. Plus, the spicy and flavorful green curry sauce adds an extra layer of taste that will keep you coming back for more.
The green curry Buddha bowl is a healthy and delicious meal that is easy to prepare and perfect for anyone who is looking to eat well without sacrificing taste. With its combination of whole grains, vegetables, and protein, this dish offers a complete and balanced meal that is packed with nutrients and flavor. So why not give it a try and see for yourself how delicious and satisfying a Buddha bowl can be?